"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, January 12, 2013

Essential Oils: Sleep & Relaxation

So about these Essential Oils I have mentioned a time or two in the past....

Many of you who have been reading for some time know after my son was born, I pretty much became dead set on a healthier lifestyle for my household - from the food we eat to the chemicals we come into contact with. As I began to transition all the chemical cleaners to homemade ones in my home, I started learning about essential oils. And it all took off from there.

Now, in my home, Essential Oils have replaced what is today's modern medicine cabinet. I am not knocking modern medicine. There is a time and place for it. But, if I can keep my family healthy and out of the doctor's office using essential oils - why would I not? And thus far, we've been pretty darn successful! These oils are 100% pure and A-MAZ-ING! And yes, there is a difference. These are dōTERRA Essential Oils. I compared a few of their oils with what was presumably the same oil from a different company - ehhh, not.even.close! I couldn't believe the difference just in smell from one bottle to the other.

Our medicine cabinet went from looking something like this....


To something like this....ok, minus the cute Lavender plant!


One of the things I LOVE about these oils is that they are multi-functional. In our old medicine cabinet, I had to have one specific pill, liquid, cream or ointment for every.single. ache and pain.

For example, one of my personal favorites is Lavender.

Lavender is considered the Swiss Army Knife of Essential Oils! 


Lavender is analgesic, anti-coagulant, anti-convulsive, anti-depressant, anti-fungal, antihistamine, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-toxic, a cardio tonic, cell regenerative 
and sedative. Whoa! What? Yes, for real!

So, some of the things I like to use Lavender for are #1 - SLEEP and RELAXATION! When my son was really little, like 6 months little, I would dab some on the bottoms of his feet if he was having trouble sleeping and within 10-15 minutes top he'd be out like a light! We continue to use Lavender to help with sleep and relaxation. I love to diffuse it with a drop of Patchouli when I am falling asleep!

Lavender is also known for it's amazing-ness in helping with burns. My husband came home from work with what was probably a 2nd degree burn. After a week or so of consistent Lavender applications on the burn, you could barely tell it was there!

Bug bites and bee stings? No problem-o! Dab 'em with Lavender.

Diaper Rash? I like to mix Lavender and Roman Chamomile with some coconut oil!

And the animals! Don't forget the animals! When a storm is brewing our Hound gets very anxious and afraid. I dab him down with some Lavender and he retreats to his 'safe space' and just zones out.

So how about you - do you use Essential Oils? 
And if you do, what do you use them for? And which is your favorite?

I have lots and lots to share about Essential Oils and how wonderful they are so I hope you'll come back for more! And, for those interested, I am holding a FREE webinar this Tuesday evening at 9pm est on Mood Management with Essential Oils. If you are interested, you can register here!




1 comment:

Camille said...

Can't live without my lavender! We have been using a lot of Eucalyptus this season, too!