"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, March 1, 2012

One Moment


This is my Gypsy Girl.
I am sure, if you have read my blog for any period of time, you know of her.
She is a special gal.
And she gave me another heart attack this morning.

Look at her gorgeous, Roman head. You can read a lot about a horse in their facial features.

Something that is a 'worst fear' for me is walking into the barns in the morning and not seeing everyone standing. Occasionally, Romeo sleeps in and I wake him up, but right away, he stretches those front legs with his butt in the air, gets up on all 4 and promptly starts munching his hay.

This morning, I was walking the dogs and Allen headed to the barn. He called out for me and my heart sank...I just knew right away someone wasn't standing. It was odd too, because when I walked out with the dogs, Apollo had his head out his window looking towards me almost as if he was saying "Get in here, Mom".

When I got to the barn, Gypsy was lying down with Allen by her side. Gypsy is usually an early evening/into the night sleeper - not an early morning sleeper. I did take some comfort though in that I noticed she didn't seem distressed - as if she was colicing or anything. So I ran inside with the dogs, grabbed some meds incase she needed them, and ran back out. I comforted her as I tried to assess her. I was checking for gut sounds, any signs of sweating on her, abnormal breathing and looking over her overall demeanor. I then scanned her stall to make sure there were no signs of distress there either - these would be things such as any signs in her sawdust that she was thrashing or pawing and also looking to see that there was ample amount of manure for that time of the morning and that the manure itself was 'normal'.

After I determined all seemed ok, Allen threw her hay and she started nibbling it right away - another ok sign. Then, on her own, she just stood herself right up. I have to admit, after our episode this summer where she went down in the pasture and couldn't get up, I wince every time I watch her get up, holding my breath, until she is standing. Her front left seemed a little shaky and I am thinking her arthritis is getting to her. These drastic weather changes we are having too do not help. They are hard on the horses. Especially her, being older and arthritic.

So, she is hanging out loose in the barn aisle today and I pray when I get home, all is well. The pastures are too muddy to be turned loose in them, but when I get home, she'll be going on a nice long stroll through the orchard.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope she's okay. She is very pretty!

Susan said...

I know the feeling. My cat is 16+ with arthritis and Stage III renal disease. I now sleep near to keep tabs on him at night. I know his time is borrowed, but each day I'm thankful for that sweet meow that awakens me at 4:00 a.m. and I smile. Gentle thoughts that all will be well with your friend. XOXO

Kim Bee said...

Our Arabian is turning 25 this year. I always worry when she lays down as we never get to see her do it. I am glad Gypsy is okay. First time here and glad I found you. Fellow horse lover, we just have the one we board at a friends place. We also have a puppy, 3 cats and 5 birds. It's basically a zoo but I love every minute of it.

katiegirl said...

Whew, that's scary! Hopefully she's ok!